Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Appealing Poetry

Once I clicked on the “Poetry of Witness” tab and the next page popped up, right away the first poem to jump out at me was the poem titled “Photograph from September 11” written by Wisława Szymborska. After reading this poem and some others from Szymborska, I would say I have to agree with other readers when they say, “Readers of Szymborska’s poetry have often noted its wit, irony, and deceptive simplicity. She has an eye for domestic details and occasions, playing these against the backdrop of history.”(http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poet.html?id=6744) In 1996 Szymborska won the Nobel Prize at the age of 83, Szymborska is also known to be a “Polish poet who explored philosophical, moral, and ethical issues with intelligence and empathy.”(http://www.arlindo-correia.com/100901.html)

I will always remember this day and those images the author describes, the way my feelings were when I woke up to my dad telling me to hurry and see what was on the television. As I strained to focus my eyes to the scene on the television, I thought the image which was unfolding before my eyes were images from another country not ours. Then I heard the news-casters saying the world trade center had been attacked, realizing this was not happening in another country it was happening to ours. I could not help but feel hatred towards the individuals responsible for the attacks and sorrow for the people who were the victims of this savage attacks. A couple of months later as soon as I could I enlisted into the military at the age of seventeen, this day I can say changed my life in more ways than one.

Ok, well the first poem is done, so what would be the second one? Well, the second poem was the poem “Song of Napalm” written by Bruce Weigl. “Soon after turning 18, Bruce Weigl enlisted in the Army and served in Vietnam for one year, beginning in December 1967. He was awarded the Bronze Star and returned to his hometown of Lorain, Ohio”(http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poet.html?id=81173) The title of this poem is obviously a military poem, but when reading the first couple of lines you would think this didn’t have to do with military at all, in fact you would think this was about a cowboy or someone living on a ranch. After the soldier describes his past memories of back home, he quickly realizes he’s back in the combat zone far from home, far from loving memories he once had. He only sees the horrific tragedies’ of war and the innocent lives whom it impact. He tries to picture happiness but the true images brings him back to reality, nothing can cover up what impact being part of a war endures on a soldier and the images that haunt them.

I can obviously relate to this poem being young and thrown into a place where you learn to grow up very quickly and deal with matters in which most people should never endure. Being in situations and seeing images in which you could only wish would be wiped from your memory. Day dreaming only to wake up and realize you not home, you’re not anywhere close to being home and only hoping to see your loved ones again, but yet this is all you know and for some reason, maybe it’s the friends you made, maybe the friends you’ve lost, but you still wouldn’t take any of it back and you find yourself asking for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment